System for determining grain-size distribution
For automatic, laboratory determination of grain-size distribution of mineral materials (MM) in a range from 0,0005 up to 130 mm.
For optimisation of MM mix selection according to optional parameters.
Measuring system foundation:
The electronic measuring instruments have sieve calibration referred to user’s mechanical sieves.
After the measurement, the result is automatically stored on the computer drive in electronic units and grain-size distribution can be recalculated according to any calibration or set of sieves.
The electronic measuring instruments determine particles’ shape factor. This is a proportion of the maximum size of grain to the minimum one. This factor is always above 1, and for sphere is equal to 1.
The measurement of mineral materials (MM) granulation can nowadays based on various electronic measuring analysers, that provide the same method for calibration and measurement.
Those instruments can be connected in one measuring system, as it’s shown on the diagram.
The measuring system
All particle size analysers and other measuring instruments are connected through FES (Fast Ethernet Switch) to the server. The results of the measurements are saved at the same time both on analyser’s computer and on the server. At every station the MM graining curve can be determined thanks to possibility to uploading by the network the results from other instruments.
The following analysers can be connected to the system network:
1 IPS L in the range from 0,0005 to 0,5 mm according to sieve mesh dimension;
2 IPS A/U in the range 0,0005 – 2 mm according to sieve mesh dimension;
3 AWK 3D or AWK C in the range 0,2 – 31,5 mm according to sieve mesh dimension;
4 AWK B in the range 1 – 130 mm according to sieve mesh dimension.
According to EN standard the material is washed on 0,075 sieve in order to separate fine grains. After each fraction is weighted, the water solution of fine grains is prepared to be measured on IPS L analyser. Other fraction can be measured on IPS U and AWK analysers.
The results of fraction graining measurement are summed in special computer software, that takes into consideration the weight of each fraction. The same software allows to determine the characteristic of ground graining.
It takes around 1 hr in total to make all measurements with every analyser in the system
The measurement procedure for determining the MM graining on IPS U and AWK analysers is as follow:
1. Initially MM should be screen through 1 and 10 mm sieves in order to divide the probe into three fraction. Each fraction should be weight.
2. From the fine fraction, below 1 mm, the 1 gram sample is taken to determine the grain-size distribution on IPS U analyser with automatic feeder.
3. The middle fraction, from 1 up to 10 mm, can be measured on AWK A analyser.
4. The whole coarse fraction is measured on AWK B analyser.
5. The grain-size distributions of all fractions are summed, with taken into consideration their weight.
6. If there are any admixtures to MM (e.g. limestone), they are also summed to the final graining curve. The summing is proportional to their weight.
7. The fine-graining admixture are measured on IPS U analyser ( the feeder should be changed from automatic to the ultrasonic one).
8. The final result can be compared to the standard requirements in mathematical and graphical way.
9. The software allows to input standard MM grain-size distribution for fast control of grinning.
10. The final result (after summing partial grain-size distribution) can be printed as a measuring protocol.
11. It takes half an hour or so to determine final result.
Besides the system can be used for:
- projecting and controlling of graining different MM mixtures, even before they will be mixed in different proportions.
- optimising of MM mix selection according to optional parameters, that determine the grain-size distribution
Every analyser produced by KAMIKA Instruments can be connected to the MM SYSTEM. The instruments working in the system can be optionally compiled – according to preferences and possibilities of the user.
As the idea of the system bases on modules, completing of the whole system can be divided in time.
In order to be able to use all advantages of the system, the purchase of the network and the server is necessary, while buying 2 analysers.
We supply complete, ready-to-use instruments and measuring systems. We ensure full training courses, technical support and warranty and post-warranty service as the producer
Infoline: +48 22 666 93 32
Our instruments presented accoriding to measurement type and range.
What do you want to measure ?
Quality confirmed by ISO 9001 cert.